FO Friday: Sepp the Seahorse

It was another beautiful day in Hawaii! So why not take Sepp (kind of close) to his natural environment.

sepp-seahorse-4

(I just can’t get over how fast my model is growing!)

sepp-seahorse-3

The little baby is so adorable! Maybe I should make more baby seahorse?

sepp-seahorse-2

Sepp’s head was another part of a Lalylala I altered. This pattern is another that is crocheted bottom-up, in the round, all the way to the top of the head. I personally have a hard time getting the neck how I like if I crochet that way. But the way I altered the head last time made the hood not fit as well as I’d like. So what I did was make the head separately. I made a foundation chain to make a fake last row of the body, and continued to work the head upwards. And behold! It worked. This may be my go to alteration.

sepp-seahorse-1

It was a windy day, so the quality of Sepp was tested. He had to be dusted oh so many times! As you can see in this last photo, the stitches are perfect for catching sand from the wind.

I’m still working my way through all the Lalylala patterns, so I’m sure there will be another doll coming soon!

  • Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Eggshell and Light Blue
  • Hook: 4.0 mm Odyssey crochet hook from Furls
  • Other materials: polyester fiber filling
  • Location: Ala Moana Beach Park, Honolulu, HI
  • Order yours here
Advertisements

FO Friday: Oleg the Octopus

This week’s finished project is one that has been in progress since maybe September of last year! It is Oleg the Octopus! The pattern is from Lalylala and can be found here.

oleg-the-octopus-1

Crocheting the body can take some getting used to because you’d be working with the tentacles already attached. The other parts are pretty typical for a Lalylala pattern; the arms, the hood, and the face.

One thing I changed is how I made the head. The pattern calls for the head to be worked in the round continuously from the body. I personally found that this method made it difficult to stuff the neck firmly enough to not be floppy. Instead, I used a head pattern from a different Lalylala doll. One that makes the head a separate piece  you sew on later. A problem I found with this change is the hood seems to be too big.

For my next Lalylala, I’m planning on trying another modification.

oleg-the-octopus-2

The little one wanted to go the big mall, so off we went into town. Luckily, the weather was really nice, so we went across the street to Ala Moana Beach Park for a photo shoot.

  • Pattern from Lalylala
  • Yarn used: Red Heart Super Saver in Spa Blue Fleck and Eggshell, Loops and Threads Impeccable in Royal
  • Other materials: 12 mm plastic safety eyes from Glass Eyes Online, polyester fiber filling, pearlized beads
  • Order yours here.