This one was quite the adventure to make! Having had quite the time making Apollo, I just had to make Projectarian’s other patterns! Of course a pattern sale just solidified that plan. Then being the yarn hoarder that I am, I also had yarn to burn through.
This particular one took me almost 3 weeks to make! The most time consuming part for me was the hair! After a few strands, I find I have to put it down and come back after a day or two. I don’t think the photos do the hair justice though. Using a “striping” yarn was definitely the right choice, and is now a must for any next Comets. This effect would definitely have been more difficult to achieve if I were to use solid colored yarn.
This week’s finished project is one that has been in progress since maybe September of last year! It is Oleg the Octopus! The pattern is from Lalylala and can be found here.
Crocheting the body can take some getting used to because you’d be working with the tentacles already attached. The other parts are pretty typical for a Lalylala pattern; the arms, the hood, and the face.
One thing I changed is how I made the head. The pattern calls for the head to be worked in the round continuously from the body. I personally found that this method made it difficult to stuff the neck firmly enough to not be floppy. Instead, I used a head pattern from a different Lalylala doll. One that makes the head a separate piece you sew on later. A problem I found with this change is the hood seems to be too big.
For my next Lalylala, I’m planning on trying another modification.
The little one wanted to go the big mall, so off we went into town. Luckily, the weather was really nice, so we went across the street to Ala Moana Beach Park for a photo shoot.
I’m gonna lose track soon on what part of “Adventures in Lalylala-Land” I’m currently at, thus the title. Anyways Mici is finally here! I feel it’s been a while since my last Lalylala creation.
This one used some metallic thread, which gives it a great effect!
The main reason for this guy’s photo shoot delay was finding a location. But during the 4th of July weekend, we had a chance to drive a ways away from home and found a spot for him at the Kaka’ako Waterfront park.
It was nice to have some ships around in the background, I felt it inspires a backstory for Mici. As if he wandered off and got stranded far away from home. Perhaps he could use a water-dwelling friend.
Pattern: Mici the Mermaid from Lalylala
Yarn: Red Heart With Love in Eggshell, and Bluebell; Red Heart Super Saver in White and Red; Loops and Threads Impeccable in Royal
Hook: 4.00 mm Soft Touch crochet hook from Clover USA
Other materials: metallic thread in silver; 12 mm plastic safety eyes; polyester fiber filling